Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Cookies~

I baked coookies today since I had no class.. Woke up this morning and my mom suddenly said "You should bake cookies today." She surprised me by saying that as she wouldn't normally ask me to bake something.. Haha.. But I like baking. Since given the chance, we started discussing what type of cookies to make.. Ended up making chocolate cookies with dark chocolate icing.. YUM~ Like the sound of that.. We searched the internet for a recipe.. And here it is:

Chocolate Cut-Out Cookies

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 4 tablespoons cocoa
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Preparation:

In large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar together; add egg and vanilla and beat until light and fluffy. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture, blending well. Chill dough for about 1 hour or until firm enough to roll. Heat oven to 325°. Roll portions of dough on lightly floured board or between 2 pieces of wax paper to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters; place on ungreased cookie sheet. Continue rolling out and cutting shapes until all dough is used. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until no indentation remains when a cookie is touched lightly in the center. Cool slightly; remove to wire rack to cool thoroughly. Frost or decorate as desired. Makes 2 to 3 dozen cookies.

Icing:
Blend 2 cups sifted powdered sugar with 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and about 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons milk or half and half. Stir until smooth and add more milk or half-and-half if necessary. If color is desired, spoon portions of icing into small bowls and stir drops of food coloring in until desired colors are achieved.

(http://southernfood.about.com/od/chocolatecookies/r/bl21218b.htm)


Instead of using the above icing recipe, we used the dark chocolate that we had in our refrigerator.. So, it was much easier.. As we just had to melt the chocolate and spread it on top of the cookies when they were done.

You know what the funny thing was.. We didn't have any baking soda... My mom had used it all up in the last "baking session" and forgot to replenish.. Luckily it didn't turn out hard or anything.. Or else we would be left with 160 rock hard cookies~ Haha.. Wonder who would eat them then...

We had fun making those cookies.. At least I know I did.. The whole duration took us around 5 hours! From start to washing up... Was so tired after that.. And I think I ate too many during the process of baking and spreading of icing that when I got to the finished product, it didn't really appeal to me anymore.. Haha.. Funny..

P/S: I would have uploaded some photos of the cookies. But my family camera has been lent to a friend. Oh well..

No comments:

Post a Comment